Funds to build this grand old library were donated by Andrew Carnegie. In the early 1900s, Carnegie was considered the wealthiest person in the world after the sale of his company, Carnegie Steel, to J.P. Morgan. Carnegie’s philanthropy extended to donating money to communities in order to build over 2,500 libraries around the world.
With Carnegie’s $15,000 donation, Wooster’s library was constructed on the northwest corner of Larwill and Market Streets in Wooster and opened in 1905. The architect was Vernon Redding of Mansfield. At one time, a museum was located on the second floor, which later formed the first exhibits of the Wayne County Historical Society. (Read more about the Historical Society’s beginning here.)
The beloved public library was demolished in 1966 to make way for a new modern facility at the same location.