This month, the Wooster City School Board continues to discuss and study the various options for facilties optimization, in an attempt to reduce the operating budget by one million dollars by July 1, 2012. At the heart of all three scenarios thus far presented to reduce the budget, is the role Cornerstone Elementary School will play.
The large block of property located at the NW corner of Quinby avenue and Bowman street where Cornerstone Elementary School is located has a long history within the school system. This large city block, that stretches as far west as Grant street and as far north as Park avenue, at various times throughout the city’s history held at least two elementary schools before Cornerstone: Bowman St. School and Grant St. Elementary School, the Wooster City Junior High School, and the Wooster City High School.
Many people living today will remember that Cornerstone Elementary School was the Wooster City High School for many years. Wooster’s official historian and author, Harry S. McClarran, has graciously granted us permission to display some of the pictures from his book, A Glimpse from the Front Porch and a Bridge to the Past, of the old high school buildings. In addition, courtesy of Special Collections, The College of Wooster Libraries, an old picture postcard, circa early 1900s, of the old high school was found on a small 1″ negative they were able to enlarge and digitally reproduce for us to display here.
The original Wooster City High School was constructed in 1869 and opened for classes in 1870. According to Harry McClarran this building stood from 1870 until sometime in 1923, when the main part of it was demolished to build the structure we still have to this day known as Cornerstone Elementary School. A Wooster Weekly Republican report dated April 29, 1869 on page 3 stated:
Here’s a look back in time at the old school buildings on the NW corner of Quinby and Bowman: