Honeytown

Newspaper Clipping

A 1872 newspaper clipping from the Wooster Daily Republican tells us a little about life in the outlying village of Honeytown. Click image to see larger size.

Our early local newspapers used to dedicate a few columns in the paper for “news” submitted by persons living in the outlying communities around Wayne County. They often simply reported about the goings-on in their area. Most of these early submissions were written anonymously and after reading a few you might be inclined to substitute the word gossip for “news”. However, the first letter ever submitted from a person living in the village of Honeytown gives a good indication of what life was like back in the early days of Wayne County. Enjoy a look back in time at Honeytown. The text of the news clipping has been re-typed below for easier reading. Reference: Wooster Daily Republican, printed on January 4, 1872, page 3.

HONEYTOWN
EDS. REP. —— Most every one horse village in the county has its correspondent, and if this village does not furnish one it might be thought by some that it was for the want of intelligence on the part of its citizens. This being the first letter we deem it advisable to commence by telling where the town is. It being so unpretentious, doubtless many have passed through it, without being conscious of it.

We would say then that Honeytown is situated in a beautiful valley at the junction of the Whetstone and Applecreek, three miles east of Wooster. It takes its name from the circumstance of its early settlers stealing honey. Owing to its nearness to the county seat its growth has not been very rapid. Including Raytown, which is a part of Honeytown, it now contains seven houses. It is confidently expected that the Baltimore and Chicago Railroad will pass through the place, and property is beginning to look up.

Samuel Moore built a very fine residence on the southwest corner of the square last fall. Capt. Foltz is still selling groceries and does an extensive business. Jacob Kramer has sold his large flouring mill to his son Frank, and is going to build himself a residence close by where he intends to live retired from the busy labors of life. Prof. Durstine has an interesting singing class in the U.B. Church. The young folks of the village and vicinity indulged in an oyster supper and had a good time generally, at the Infirmary on Tuesday evening last.

Two blood-thirsty dogs belonging to a citizen, worried and killed some sheep a few days ago, for Mr. McFadden. Mc. sued the owner of the dogs and got judgement against him for the value of his sheep. The dogs paid the penalty by their lives.

Rev. W.W. Lang, Lutheran minister, who lived in the parsonage just beyond the village, moved to Mt. Vernon a few days ago. In his valedictory, he summed up his labors about as follows: six and one-half years of labor; rode 10,000 miles; preached 900 sermons; admitted 130 members, and received $5,000 for his services.

But I have written enough for letter No. 1.

Speak Your Mind

*