This vintage postcard is sure to bring back memories. As the Lincoln Highway developed, so did roadside Americana. According to the back of the postcard, Hilltop Motel offered “ten modern units with tile baths and radiant heat. 400 feet from road noise and located on top of one of Ohio’s highest hills. Eating facilities nearby, including a new Howard Johnson’s restaurant.”
The motel was owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. Alvin B. Harding, and later by Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Mills.
The word “motel” is a combination of the words “motor hotel”, and these individual tourist cabins were popular overnight accommodations for long-distance road trips.
Maybe you could help identify these photos?
The two images below, taken by Dawson Studio of Wooster, were recently donated to the Wayne County Historical Society. Notes with the images say the photos were taken March 18, 1936 and were “Views of snow drifts on Lincoln Highway east of town at Hill Crest.”
Can anyone tell us more about the cabins in these photos?