The Wayne County Historical Society of Ohio is pleased to announce that it will participate in the Ohio Open Doors running from September 9–18 with a special Open House on Saturday, September 17, 2016 that is free and open to the public.
Brought to you by the Ohio History Connection, Ohio Open Doors is a statewide effort where building and landmark sponsors open their doors to the public for special tours and programs. Join us in honoring the history, design and stories of buildings in Wayne County as we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the National Historic Preservation Act.
Wayne County, Ohio is home to many historic buildings and homes. Among those is our very own General Reasin Beall house located on the campus of the Wayne County Historical Society. Another well-preserved structure on our campus is our 1873 one-room school house, affectionately known as the Lil’ Red Schoolhouse. You can alos check out our General Store building that originally stood in Fredericksburg, Ohio and a 1856 log cabin that once stood in Congress township.
“Ohio Open Doors showcases the stories of important landmarks right in our backyard,” says Burt Logan, Executive Director and CEO of the Ohio History Connection. “The 50th anniversary of the National Historic Preservation Act is the perfect time to highlight the history and the uniqueness of Ohio’s most treasured places.”
Established in 1966, the National Historic Preservation Act has been instrumental in preserving the historic fabric of our cities and neighborhoods. It has transformed the face of communities from coast to coast, establishing the legal framework and incentives to preserve historic buildings, landscapes and archaeology. The act drives economic revitalization by attracting investment, supporting small business, stabilizing neighborhoods and creating jobs.
For more information about our participation in Ohio Open Doors, visit ohiohistory.org/ood.
Ohio Open Doors
2016 is the 50th anniversary of the National Historic Preservation Act signed by President Lyndon B. Johnson on October 15, 1966. To celebrate, Ohio History Connection will inaugurate Ohio Open Doors, to promote and inspire pride in Ohio’s amazing heritage.
Ohio History Connection
On May 24, 2014, the Ohio Historical Society changed its name to the Ohio History Connection. Established in 1885, this nonprofit organization provides a wide array of statewide services and programs related to collecting, preserving and interpreting Ohio’s history, archaeology and natural history through its more than 50 sites and museums across Ohio, including its flagship museum, the Ohio History Center in Columbus. For more information about programs and events, call 800.686.6124 or go online at www.ohiohistory.org.