Pioneer Log Cabin
Moved to the Society’s grounds in 1963 from its original site in Congress Township, this hand-hewn structure dates to the first half of the 19th century. Nick Wiesenberg took wood borings from the cabin logs and stated that they date to 1856. Technically, it is a log house, not a cabin, because it has a second-story loft and is therefore considered a two-story building. It did not have a fireplace but used a stove to heat the structure.
The Log Cabin was deconstructed and put in storage from 2008 until 2014, due to construction projects at the Society. However, the Log Cabin has now been rebuilt on the WCHS campus and re-opened to the public. It is furnished with pioneer-era items to tell the story of an early Wayne County settler’s life.